Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saving! Is it worth it?

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Saving! Is it worth it?

I want to purchase a used lens with better optics than mine have and I'm not sure if I should purchase a used lens or if I should save my money for a new sigma 35 mm 1.4 art. Focal length being 35-70mm
    Either prime or wide angle zoom.
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I frequently buy used stuff, and as long as you're thorough in your communication with the seller its usually not an issue. there are some things you trade off with buying used stuff, such as warranty (since warranties are not usually transferrable, but I've never had an issue).

focal lengths between 35-70mm are usually referred to as 'normal' rather than wide angle, especially on a APS-C (crop) sensor. below 35mm is usually wide, below ~20mm is ultra-wide...if you're looking in the wider-normal range, I can highly recommend the Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art lens. its a BEAUTIFUL lens. its been out long enough that good used ones are on the market too, but its still a highly sought after lens, so even used ones will only save you ~100-200 or so...so you might want to weight it out and see if its worth spending a little extra for a new one or not...if you want a 35mm, the sigma is the way to go, it's fast, it's optics are better than the Nikon version, its significantly cheaper than the Nikon version, its very well built, and you can get the $50 sigma dock, and connect the lens to the computer and fine tune the autofocus on it for various focus distances, which is really nice (although my lens needed zero adjustment across the board, but the dock works with all the newer sigma lenses, so if you're looking at others in the future, it would still be a worthwhile thing to get)...

if you want a good 50mm, I'd recommend the 50mm f1.8G or f1.8D lens, both excellent lenses, cheap, fast, and great optics (the 1.4 versions are great too, but IMO, they're not worth the added cost over the 1.8 versions unless you NEED the extra 2/3 of a stop of max aperture, which most people don't)...I used to have the 50mm f1.8D lens (retail is ~$120, can't beat that) and it was excellent...

for something a little longer than 50mm, I'd jump to the 85mm f1.8G, which is also an excellent lens, and very well priced, its a mild telephoto lens though, especially on your APS-C sensor D90, so if you're looking for wide stuff, it's not really something to consider.

for wider than 35mm, you might look at the 28mm f1.8G, which is supposed to be a great lens and is fairly well priced. you could also look at some other third party lenses like Zeiss 21mm, 25mm, or 28mm lenses which are all excellent, but also only manual focus.

personally I'd skip a zoom lens, you'll get larger apertures, and generally better quality optics for less money going with primes. there are some great wide angle zooms, but you'll usually sacrifice something for the convenience of a zoom, for example, max aperture, optical quality, etc...but if you want some zoom, the ones you'd want to look at are: 14-24 f2.8 (excellent quality, but large, heavy, expensive, and has a huge bulbous front element that is prone to damage if you're not careful with it), 17-35 f2.8D (great quality, but also large and heavy, also older technology, and expensive), 17-55 f2.8 DX (great quality, but expensive, and a DX lens, so if you ever plan on going to FX bodies in the future, you'd probably be looking at replacing it), 24-70 f2.8G (also a great lens, expensive, and has some optical issues like some CA fringing, but that is easily fixed in post). There is also a Sigma 18-35 f1.8 lens that is pretty new and supposed to be fantastic, however it's a DX lens as well, so upgrading to FX may be looking at replacement, its less expensive than other Nikon options, and it's got a larger max aperture than ANY other wide angle zoom lens.

anyways, those are some options out there. for everything I do personally (i.e. not for business), I'm using primes almost exclusively, I prefer their size, max aperture, and optical quality....however when I'm at an event or something (like at SEMA or hot august nights or something I'm covering for GTC) I'm almost always using my 24-70 f2.8G, the zoom is much preferable in those circumstances since I don't always have the option to move around enough to frame my shot properly.

my lenses I currently have are ever changing. and my current ones are listed in my signature.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I love your books you write for me haha. Luckily I a
    Had some rime to read this one.
    I think what I want is a prime with great optics and high build quality. I want a lens that will take the best photo that can be taken. Lol thats asking alot.
    So here is the real question say I do buy the sigma 35mm 1.4 art am I going to be blown away by the difference in quality of the photos I take vs. now with my 18-55 nikkor af-s $118 lens?

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    yeah it sounds like a prime is what you're looking at.....the sigma 35mm vs the 18-55 @ 35mm is two completely different worlds. my wife has a 18-55, if I get some time I'll try to take some comparison shots. the sigma should blow it out of the water, especially at lower light levels. the 18-55 @35mm will be wide open at f5, where the sigma will be stopped down 3 2/3 stops at the same settings. not to mention the VAST improvement in flexability in being able to go all the way to f1.4 with the sigma, that is a SIGNIFICANT amount of additional light you have available at your disposal.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm. So you have a 35mm art?

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    yes sir.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Hmm. Why can't you live closer lol.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Always nice to play with something before you buy it.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    absolutely, especially when it comes to larger purchases, its always good to try and make sure it is what you need before purchase...

you could always move out here hah.

however if you want to try one out for a few days to see if it is what you need, you do have the option of renting one. places like lensrentals are well known and reputable rental places, it'll add a little to the cost in the end, but that way you get to really test them out before looking to buy...here's the rental page for the 35 art from lensrentals:
    http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/niko...m-a1-for-nikon

you could also see if any camera stores in your area do rentals, that would save some shipping costs.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    in fact, if you're looking for shots taken with my 35mm, this one here was:
    http://www.photographywild.com/showt...per-Mesa-Falls

as well as all the photos of my various equipment that has been for sale over in the classifieds (those are not necessarily taken for aesthetics or anything, but they were taken with my 35mm art for the most part)
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast