Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Thread: Extreme temperatures

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Extreme temperatures

I have heard from a couple people that it is not good to leave your DSLR out in extreme temperature. Too hot or too cold could potentially harm you valuable equipment.

Is this true?

At what temperature do you think I need to be worried about damage?

What could this potentially harm within the DSLR camera?
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    sure, constant exposure to extreme temps aren't good, if you're just talking about straight cold (i.e. no moisture), than you'll have functional issues with it and the battery will die quickly while you're using it, you also run the risk of dew collection and moisture and electronics don't mix well. heat can warp things like plastic and rubber. both temp extremes can make glues lose adhesion, and the expansion and contraction due to the temp changes can eventually cause issues with mechanical parts. I don't know any specific temperatures that are bad vs not bad though.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

For storage Nikon recommends the following: are exposed to temperatures above 50 C (122 F) or below
    10 C (14 F)
    However, except for batteries, I see no note of not using the camera in sub-zero or extremely high temps. I have used different Nikon cameras in temps down to 30 below (and that was not wind chill), and up to temps around 110 with no problems.

A few things to remember. If using in sub-zero weather, make sure to have an airtight (zip lock) type bag to put the camera into prior to entering a warm environment. This allows the condensation to form on the bag, not on or in the camera (bag is also good for a sudden rainstorm). A baggy coat is good to keep the camera inside while walking to help keep it out of the elements. Spare batteries need to be kept in your pockets, and in some cases, frame rate will reduce.

If you were shooting film at sub-zero temps, don't use a motor winder. The high speed the film advances across the internal parts of the camera causes static electricity, and that in turn, shows on the film when developed. Something I learned many years ago filming a pro rally in Northern MI; appropriately called "Sno Drift."

Just remember, metals and plastics expand and contract with temps and not all expand or contract at the same rate, so at times some parts might be pushing against each other. However, Nikon (as well as many other major manufacturers) cameras have been and are used in the Antarctica, Death Valley, and the hot humid jungles found on the earth.

I'm personally more worried about moisture. Water gets inside and can destroy the electronics, humid conditions can allow moisture to enter and slowly destroy the electronics, or also get into a lens and cause fungus to grow inside the lens. (Fungus is an interesting discussion to have and how to avoid but for another day.)

And it all depends on the camera, how well it is sealed and the lenses, how well they are sealed.
    Nikon D700 / D300
    F5 (Not Used)
    NIKKOR 20-35mm F/2.8D EDIF ZOOM, NIKKOR AF-S 24-70 F/2.8G EDIF ZOOM, NIKKOR AF-S 70-200 F/2.8D EDIF VR ZOOM, NIKKOR AF-S 300mm F/4D EDIF

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Well I'm being forgetful and leaving my d90 out in the truck for several hours over the past few days. It was about 14F when I got it out of the truck. Not good. Looks like it wont kill it but would be better if I could remember that thing. (Glad its not a child)

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Yeah like he mentioned using it in hoy cold is a bit different than storing it in those temps
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    In "hoy" cold? What Al? Yeah I have built several HHO generators so I have had a lot of experience with water/moisture and electricity.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Phone typing.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    heh, that should have said Hot/Cold I think...I hate typing on my phone heh
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Ok haha.