Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Thread: Boreal Hike

Likes (Received)

Boreal Hike

Last month a friend and I went for a hike in a remote area, this is what we got:

A curious Grey Wolf, allowed close approach (slight adrenaline rush)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385841483.529346.jpg

Here's another shot
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385841555.812938.jpg

A foraging mink, the small river he's hunting along is full of trout of various kinds. These little guys are so fidgety! This unfortunately was the best shot I could manage on this trip.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385841625.746183.jpg

Likes (Received)
    It seems I have posted this in the wrong section! Can someone remove it? I'll repost in the mammals section instead.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Great shots! I've never seen a wolf in the wild. What area were these taken at if you don't mind me asking?

I moved this thread for you, I also removed the other one, it looks like the attachments are showing up better on this one than the other.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    Awesome thanks!

I used a Canon Rebel T4i, with a 75-300mm lens.

This is actually my first wolf in the wild too, I've been trying to find them for years now and have only managed carcasses of prey and tracks. This one actually ran in front of my car while I was on my way back home, surprisingly he stayed near the road for ten minutes or so, allowing quite a few pictures, before running off into the woods.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Awesome shots. Every time I get close to wild animals I get an adrenaline also. I'm hoping I can get some coyote shots now that the fields are down.
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks! Coyotes are so misunderstood, everyone seems them as them sneaky villains, but they have quite interesting behaviour don't they?

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Well I dont really know. Havent really gotten the chance to study them. You see I just moved from in town out to the country. I'm loving every minute and hope to see more action soon.
    I have been hauling corn all harvest, the other day it was raining and the hoppers on the trailer got wet while loading and caused some corn to stick. I ended up with about 5 (5 gallon) buckets full of corn kernels can't wait to bait them deer in close for a little photo shoot.
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Awesome, and with any luck, those deer will attract coyotes.

Likes (Received)

Boreal Hike

Just found this pic. These are fresh wolf tracks I found once while hiking a remote area a couple hundred Km's east of Wpg. On this day there was a lot if snow falling, so it was safe to say the wolves walked along the trail perhaps 1-2 hrs before I had. That day didn't reveal much mammal life, but I was certainly on my toes the whole time! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386992196.861398.jpg

Up until this year, my encounters with wild wolves was much like that, a trail hear, kill there.