Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Thread: Northern Owls

Likes (Received)

Northern Owls

This past winter I had an opportunity to photograph a couple of our Northern owl species, the magnificent Great Grey Owl (Manitoba's provincial bird), and the incredibly tame Northern Hawk Owl:

This is actually one of 17 Great Greys spotted on that day in April, last winter was a big float year for the northern owl species.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385845851.646141.jpg

This little Hawk Owl allowed me to photograph from directly beneath. He struck a few curious poses.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385845943.012823.jpg

And here's something that stick in the area year round:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385846074.763066.jpg
    Screech Owls have incredible camouflage don't they? I didn't manage a shot with his eyes wide open, she closed them as soon as she heard me walking along the icy river. I still spotted her basking on the opening of the wood duck box though :P
    Likes Aloicious liked this post

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I love owls (if you can't tell by my avatar ) these are excellent! I've only been lucky enough to find GHO's and burrowing owls so far. I'd love to see a great grey, or any other species for that matter.

Those screech owls hide incredibly well, I'm always surprised that people are able to see them.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    Wells there's tons of Great Greys out here!
    From what I understand this year isn't going to be as big a year for owls as last winter was though, but hopefully I manage a few more shots of theses—and maybe a couple Snowys too!

Screech owls are hard to see, I was told about this particular bird by a friend though, so that's the only reason I was able to see it :P I've been out a couple times in areas they're known to live in and have never seen any.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    yeah there are supposed to be some western screech owls out here I believe, but I have yet to see one, I think we get some little flammulated owls too, I've heard of some good spots for those, I'll have to go check out, but they're really small, even smaller than burrowing owls if I'm not mistaken.

oh I have imaged some barn owls too, I'll have to post them up when I get a chance
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Ha love shots of owls, I wish I could get some around here but I hardly ever see them.

That one owl is taking up the whole entrance to that bird house haha.
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Ya the little Eastern Screech Owls take up residence in the wood duck boxes during the winter the best time to see them is late afternoon, they'll sit at the box entrance and sola up the last couple hours of sun before the night' shunt.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    That is super awesome. Maybe I'll look into ways to get owls to come closer to my house. We have a large tree line about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile away. I love watching owls
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)

Northern Owls

If you have a water body nearby then screech owls should be fairly easy to attract with a duck house like this, provided the woods are old growth. If not Northern Saw-whets are a fairly easy species to attract as well.
    Last edited by Grey Wolf; December 1st, 2013 at 06:34 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    yeah I've got a body of water, but its the woods that I don't have, well I can get to some but they're a little further away. I might have to go looking for some owls once I get a supertele again. I kindof live out in the desert.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Oh I see. Well if you live out in the desert and have a water body, most animals should be easy to attract.