Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Thread: Little Egret (Egretta garzetta)

Little Egret (Egretta garzetta)

Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) by alabang, on Flickr

The Little Egret is more delicate-looking than any other heron-like bird which occurs in Britain. It is much smaller than a Grey Heron, with snowy white plumage, a long pointed black bill and black legs with strikingly yellow feet.
    Habitat

Feeds by the edges of lakes, reservoirs, rivers, brackish lagoons and saltpans. Breeds in waterside trees and bushes.
    Behaviour

The plumes which are present in spring serve to emphasise the threat and appeasement gestures given at the nest.
    Migration

Most of the European population migrates west and south, mostly to north Africa but also, to an increasing degree, to the european side of the Mediterranean and the Atlantic coasts. After fledging, juveniles disperse almost randomly from July to September. This movement is presumably governed by prevailing feeding conditions.

Source: http://www.birdguides.com/species/species.asp?sp=20023

Settings: 1/1250 /4 ISO 1600 600mm
    Last edited by dolina; December 10th, 2013 at 08:10 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    great shot, we don't get any little egrets out here, but we have snowy egrets which are similar.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)

Little Egret (Egretta garzetta)

Absolutely stunning bird! Nice shot! I love egret's breeding plumage with those long whisps coming off their bodies. So beautiful.

Thanks Aloicious and Grey