Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Thread: Brazilian Birds

Likes (Received)

Brazilian Birds

These photos aren't really best, but they're all I have. These were taken on my little Olympus camera, I didn't get the Canon until about a year later.

So, I apologize if the pictures are fuzzy and the subjects are hard to see, but I will try my best to point them out.

Here's two birds you can't miss when you visit the Cerrado in Brazil. Perched on the right of the branch is a Black Vulture, which are more or less the clean up crew for many areas in South America. Quite often they will land on the streets and snatch a tastey tidbit that has been dropped. Two the left of him, on the same branch is a pair of Guira Cuckoos. These birds are inhabitants of the grassy and sparsely trees areas, where they live ok small family groups that patrol the territory in search of fruits, insects and small animals.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387724785.247616.jpg

On the subject of cuckoos (of which there are many species in South America), here's a close relative of the Guira Cuckoo, the Squirrel Cuckoo. It has this name because of it's habit of jumping through the trees in search of food, rather than flying like most birds. This bird sat still long enough for me to get a picture, after about ten minutes of chasing it around a coconut plantation.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387725170.381022.jpg

This guy is a Masked Water Tyrant. Tyrants are the same as our flycatchers here in North America (kingbirds, phoebes, pewees, etc). As his name suggests this one is found around water, taking food from both in and around it. Any body of water will be used, including swimming pools.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387725291.714582.jpg

Apparently I can only post three pics at a time, so I'll continue with a reply so I don't have to make a new topic.

Likes (Received)

Brazilian Birds

-continuation-

Speaking of tyrant flycatchers, here's another face that might be familiar to people of the southern US, the Great Kiskadee. Every morning was filled with the duets of pairs of these birds.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387734736.729181.jpg

Of the many species of hummingbirds I saw while down there, this was perhaps the most interesting. This is a male Swallow-tailed Hummingbird.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387734903.028775.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    subscribed...I really need to come back and take a closer look at these when I have some more time tonight.

what's that large bird over the ocean in the last post?
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    That's another Black Vulture. I didn't intend to post that one here, I was going to save it for a later post to compare it with a turkey vulture, but oh well.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    nice, I've seen turkey vultures around here but never had a chance to photograph them.

I'll have to look into the 3 image limit, I don't think I have that setup in the forum software, it might be a tapatalk limit.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.