Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Thread: A trip along Raptor Route *Image Heavy*

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

A trip along Raptor Route *Image Heavy*

I have a little route I've discovered over the past year or so that has just an
    extraordinarily high amount of raptors along it, some days are better than
    others, but I always see something depending on how far I want to drive along
    it. I went halfway today, and it was a prime example of WHY I call this the
    Raptor Route...for each bird I was able to photograph, there was easily 3 or so
    I missed...it was a nice overcast day which gave a nice soft light on
    everything, but also made for some boring backgrounds, oh well...there are also
    very minimal places to perch that aren't man made (telephone/power poles,
    fenceposts, etc) so I took what I could get....these were all seen over the
    course of roughly 50 miles and ~3hrs.

First was the Common Raven (? the hook in the bill and the white plumage makes me question this, but I'm pretty sure its a common raven) I know it's not a true raptor, but they inhabit the same area and are fun to shoot...

Then there was a Eagle in the distance (its a heavy crop but I think its a juvenile baldie)

Then there were the Red Tail Hawks:

Then there was a Golden Eagle (!never been this close to a wild one before! I kept following him from pole to pole for probably 20 mins)

And finally there were a TON of rough legged Hawks:

Which brings us to the tail end of 2013..
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    That is unquestionably a Common Raven, the part is to question is why he's piebald! Never seen a raven like that before!

Nice pics, I got a soft spot for raptors :P

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Thanks! unless I'm mistaken, I think he's partially leucistic (piebald like you said), I've seen a few like that, but its definitely a rarity.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Perhaps just a trait that is resident to your area. I've never seen that before!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I believe its more of a genetic defect, but it very well may be more common in this area...we have TONS of ravens out here...on my drive yesterday I saw at least 40-50 of them near the road. if they weren't so skittish I could have gotten some great shots of them, there was one power line pole that had 5 ravens on it alone.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Hardy birds! Ravens are pretty plentiful, very smart, very adaptable, and basically no predators. They're one of the only ones that stay back here in the winter, when the crows are away, the ravens will play. There's one that lands on my neighbours house across the pond all the time, he stores bread and other tidbits underneath his shingles for winter food.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    yeah, I think that's probably why I've seen some of the piebald ravens here and not many other species (I did see an almost completely leucistic red tail hawk once, but it was so far away it could only be seen in the ~60x spotting scope) , since ravens have virtually no predators, the loss of 'camouflage' from being piebald isn't as much of a problem as it would be in other species that rely on their natural camo to survive.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388598342.923492.jpg

Here's a partially albino Canada Goose I saw earlier this year, don't think this was as fortunate as the raven though, missing his tail feathers.
    Likes Aloicious liked this post

Those birds really look rough around the edges. Great iamges

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Thanks! heh yeah they were all trying to stay warm, it was ~20-25 degress F around that day (~ -5 degrees C), so it was pretty cold.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog