Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Thread: Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

While we're play in sigma land let's just explore more sigma lenses that cost like nikkor.
    What do you think about this sigma?
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=350992307751

Is it worth buying a sigma lense that is not a contemporary, sport, or art?
    Do these high dollar sigma lenses have nice build quality such as the ART?
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    so, the thing with sigma (or any lens manufacturer, including Nikon and canon) is that they have excellent, good, fair, and poor lenses....before sigma re-organized everything and stepped up their game (with the introduction of the art/contemporary/sports lenses) they tended to be more hit and miss....a few of their older lenses were exceptional and legendary...the 150mm f2.8 Macro, and all versions of the 120-300 f2.8 were both some of the best lenses around. however some of their other offerings tended more towards the mediocre side of things, and they had a reputation for spotty quality control at times, and I believe the 70-200 f2.8 was one of those mediocre offerings, it is not in the same league as the Nikon versions in image quality or build quality...while if you got a good copy of the lens I'm sure it was a good one, but personally I'd recommend something else, especially if you're on a budget. sometimes its best to save and wait and get exactly what you want, than settling for something low end just to get it sooner. I think this would be an excellent example of that. remember that better gear may cost more, but it'll hold it's value better, so if you decide to sell it in the future, it won't be as much of a hit in depreciated value.

the problems I have with that specific lens, is that is the OLD version, like several generations back, its the pre-OS version so it doesn't have optical stabilization (which isn't really bad, good technique will be better than relying on OS or VR, but this specific lens was better quality as an OS version than non-OS, so this is the lower quality version of this lens) IIRC this lens is specifically known for low image quality especially at the 200mm end, and fairly strong CA...and the other issue, greater than just the version of the lens, is that huge missing piece of the hood, this screams to me that it's been dropped, or mishandled, and possibly damaged. walk away..

if you're looking for a good cheaper option in the 70-200 f2.8 range there are much better ones available than the old siggy 70-200...

The top one I'd look at would be the "Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD" which gets outstanding reviews, and rivals the Nikon VRII version but like half the cost brand new (retail new is like $1400).

then I'd look at the older Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VRI, which isn't quite as good as the VRII version, but the differences shouldn't be noticed on a DX body (should run in the $1k-1.3k range on the used market).

then I'd be looking at one of the Nikon 80-200 f2.8D lenses, which are a bit older, lack any vibration reduction, but have excellent image quality, and are built like a tank. and are pretty cheap nowadays (when considering the options), which should be in the $700-900 range on the used market.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    And that book of knowledge is exactly why I love to run stuff by you first. It sure is nice to have the input of some one that's been in the hobby for years. It would be the same if you were asking me about jeep Cherokee stuff lol. I've been in it so long I just know my way around.
    I have no problem saving ab extra 3-5 hundred to purchase a higher IQ lens. Why waste money on a lower end lens we are in this for the vest photo possible. In the end my goal is to have a FX body (d800e) ideally. I'll be saving for a little while.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    if you're going for FX in the future, I'd skip the VR1 lens, it was built in a period were only DX bodies existed, and the IQ performance on the edges of the full frame are lacking a little, still a great lens, but if high resolution FX sensors are your future, I'd jump straight to either the VRII lens, or that Tamron (make sure it's the newest VC version of that tamron lens though, they have older ones that aren't quite up to the same level)

know anything about Jeep liberties?
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Lol. I look at those 36MP crops you have and drool all over my self. I want it I need it lol. Plus I really like how the D800e has a 60 seconds + shutter speed where I'm limited to 30 sec. And I think the FX body has better ISO processing?

The KJ a little but I'm not that big of a fan. That thing killed the XJ! Grrrr haha but its a jeep(more like the new line of step children In the family.) I've seen some cool ones but I dont know my way around them. Lol

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    the D800e has the same long shutter speed limitations as your D90, 30s is the longest programmable speed, if you want longer than that you need to put it in 'bulb' mode, and get a remote that will allow you to hold the shutter button down manually for however long you want. I've done 5min+ exposures with the D90.

the ISO benefit from the FX bodies typically come from the lower pixel densities (combined with newer and higher end image processing engines).

ah, yeah, my wife has a 2005 KJ that has a PITA persistant power steering leak, I may have to chat with you over on GTC or something so we don't start bringing our automotive discussions over to the photography forum haha.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Bulb... oh wow see there are so many things I need to learn.

Yeah I would love the extra MP and the advance processing engines. Sigh money money money.

The automitive thing is going to bleed through its part of who we are lol.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    yeah, bulb just means the shutter will stay open for as long as you hold the shutter button down, so getting a remote that locks it down helps, there are even timed remotes that will let you program how long it should hold the shutter open for.

haha yeah I know, this could quickly become another automotive forum if we're not careful.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Hmm. I have sine night shots I want to get and the longer the shutter speed the better. lol.

We dunt need another automotive forum so we had better be more careful! (Wear a rubber) hahaha

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    yeah, most bodies have a 30s max shutter speed, then bulb mode. a locking remote is super cheap, I think I got mine for a whole $7.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog