Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first wedding.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

My first wedding.

So I have a friend who's sister is getting married in March, and I was asked if I was willing to shoot the wedding. Regretfully I said yes, they are close like family and on an extreme budget so I told them how it is"this will be my first time".

It aught to be fun and I know if the photos aren't prefect they won't hold it against me, but I'm still very nervouse.

This could be a huge turning point if I excel at the event. If I bomb it this could set me back a bit. This is why I'm looking at buying the 35mm sigma well not the whole reason because I want the lens. This is why I'm trying to purchase it now instead of mid march. I want to get the feel of the lens before the wedding.

I think I might end up renting a 70-200 for the event also. That'll give me another nice long focal length lens to use. I don't feel that my nikkor 70-300 gives the quality I want for a wedding.

Any thoughts?
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I'm not trying to put you or your skills down in this post, you're very talented, but be very very careful, shooting a wedding is something that can EASILY end up in broken friendships and lawsuits. remember its a once in a lifetime event for them, and creative differences between you and them can be very strenuous between you. when you read articles about photographers getting sued and stuff, its mostly wedding photography. especially if they're paying for your services, regardless of how much they are paying.

with that said, if you discuss things with them fully, and they understand the risks involved and the fact that it is a learning experience for you, it can be a good experience if things are properly discussed and understood beforehand. make sure you understand what they are wanting out of it (do they want more portraits, documenting the people at the event, do they want artsy shots of hands holding flowers or rings sitting on a Bible verse or something? things like that.

you may look into renting something too. the 35 1.4 is phenominal, but may be a little too long for a wedding (think group pictures, you'll have to back up significantly especially with your DX body where a 35 acts more like a 50mm in terms of the field of view). something to look into may be practicing with your 18-55 kit lens, then renting a 17-55 f2.8 or even the new sigma 18-35 f1.8 which will give you a good wide end for groups.

a flash and flash bracket would also be something worth looking into as well, something that can bounce or be used in conjunction with some modifiers to improve the lighting. that is something you'll want significant practice with too beforehand.

all I can say is practice, practice, practice, shooting people at an event is significantly different than most anything else. I know we're wildlife and nature here, but feel free to post up your practice shots in the general gallery and we can try to help out.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the advice. Yes I know it could be extremely stressful. Lol I told allen (brides father and person taking care of photography) that I will shoot it, process the photos and just give them an SD card. They are on a tight (ass) budget lol they are like that. They told me the going rate was $500 I laughed historically(with my best friend(her brother))
    He was like what. I said thats dirt. The going rate is anywhere from $1k to 5k and up depending on the skills of the photographer. I have known this family for over 8 years. Home away from home for about 3. I told allen that I will shoot it and the cost will be whatever you think its worth.
    I'm ok if they look at me and say I'm not paying you. Although I'm fairly certain that won't happen.
    They are like family and you wouldn't charge your sister...

So I put a post on a local photography group on FB stating that I would love to assit/second shoot for someone shooting a wedding. I've read that it can be a priceless experience to help you understand what goes into shoot a wedding with out the total risk factor.
    I will continue to look for photographers that are willing to take me as an assistant. I will be checking craigslist ads next. Calling wedding photographers to talk to them and shoot them the offer. Worst they can do is tell me NO!

I think it may be a little hard being that weddings can be big bucks and people don't want you stepping on the toes in the industry. I guess we'll see what happens as time unfolds.

Until then I guess the internet and youtube will be my friend. Learn learn learn then practice practice practice.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    yeah if someone will let you be a second shooter at a wedding that will help out ALOT. I don't do weddings, so I can't help too much other than just technical and processing stuff...

one good thing to do in your spare time would be find wedding photos that you really like, and try to figure out how they did them without looking up specs and stuff, this will help you understand how to create an image and help you think of things like that while you're on location.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    How offten do you shoot in manual mode?

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    depends on what I'm shooting, at shows and stuff I'm usually in Aperture mode probably 60% of the time, manual the res, but if I'm doing wildlife or nature/landscape stuff I'm always in manual
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I seem to shoot in AP 95% of the time. I really need to stop. I feel like my photography is suffering from it.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    A and S modes do have their place, but don't be afraid to experiment, this isn't film days, taking bad pictures won't cost any money to develop
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I took 130 today and I think I was happy with about 25 lol it happens

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    that's not bad at all, that's close to 25% keeper rate. when I'm at SEMA, I take anywhere from 1200-2000, and end up keeping ~100. with people the keeper rate is even worse sometimes, I've heard 1 out of 50 isn't too bad depending on the event.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast