Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Thread: Flash photography

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Flash photography

I'm feeling the need to get into Flash photography so off to youtube school I go.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC4q46LK70A
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    haha, thats a good video, I use the (almost) exact stuff as they do, though that video is a little out of date...give me a little bit and I'll give you some updated info
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Ok. I saw on ebay the yongnuo YN560 III. Looks like it has highspeed flash. Uhhh. Is that right? Said shutter speed up to 1/20000sec
    $70 free shipping.
    Yongnuo seems to be what everyone is saying to use for third party.
    Last edited by NEF.D90; February 15th, 2014 at 11:52 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Part 1 of a series. I have no clue if these are any good but it's a learning thing for me so...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEeS...e_gdata_player

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    okay, so yeah, in that video (the first one) they're using the yongnuo 560II, which is just a standard manual flash. but they 560III is the newer unit, it actually has the wireless receiver built into it. so you don't need to put that radio receiver on it any more (you'll still need one on the camera to send the signal, but you don't need one on the flash since the receiver is built in...the good thing about those remotes though, is that they can also be used as wireless shutter remotes too.)

you asked in the other thread about cheap vs name brand with flashes. so with the higher end flashes (and strobes) you'll get better color consistency, more power output ability, faster recycling, and better build quality. if you were a studio that did LOTS of people shooting, then yeah, its worth it to spend the cash and get the best strobes, but for just casual use, you really don't need to spend much, especially to get started.

here's a shopping list of stuff that you will want to look into (and on a budget)

Yongnuo 560III speedlight(s) - 1 is good and all you need to get started, but since these are fairly cheap, you can also experiment with multiple light sources if you were to get more than one, with the receiver built into them, you can control many different flash units with the same remote on your camera. this way you can do primary and secondary lights, hair and other accent lights, etc...

RF-603 for nikon - this is the transmitter for the signal, they come in pairs, you only need 1 on your camera to send the signal out to the flashes, the other one can be a backup, or used as a wireless shutter remote too.

light stand and adapter to hold the flash unit - no need to spend a ton on a light stand, it just needs to hold the flash up, a sand bag or 2 can help keep it from tipping over if needed (or if there is wind or something)

light modifiers - light modifiers are umbrellas, reflectors, grids, beauty dishes, snoots, etc. anything that modifies the light either by bouncing it, diffusing it, concentrating it, etc...the link for the light stand above actually comes with a shoot through umbrella, and umbrellas are usually the thing you'll want to start working with, they're cheap, collapsible, and fairly easy to work with...you'll want to research light modifiers to learn more about what does what, and what to look for in terms of specific uses, etc. since that is more than I can really go over right now.

thats really the bulk of it....if you want to buy a book that is EXCELLENT on understanding lighting and how to use it better, this is the way to go:

Light Science and Magic

remember though that these 560 flashes are 100% manual, you have to tell it how much light to put out, it's not automatic or TTL...but thats a good thing, learning to control the light output isn't hard, and will come in far more useful than TTL which I've never been impressed with, especially for off camera and modified light.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Sweet. Amazing all the different things you know. As always super helpful. I will also be using this thread for posting flash concept videos. Learning from watching can be very helpful. I'm going to do this! (Cool flash effects that is)
    Likes Aloicious liked this post

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NEF.D90 View Post
    Sweet. Amazing all the different things you know. As always super helpful. I will also be using this thread for posting flash concept videos. Learning from watching can be very helpful. I'm going to do this! (Cool flash effects that is)
    hehe jack of all trades, master of none, thats me!
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Haha me too.