Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Thread: Astrotrac mount has arrived

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Astrotrac mount has arrived

So I got a good used Astrotrac mount to take longer exposure astrophotography with, I've been wanting one for a while, I've got most all the other equipment needed for the setup, minus a couple little adapters I'm waiting to arrive, but it looks like next new moon I'll have to cruise out and do some astrophotos. I've got some good places that offer excellent dark skies (some of the best in the nation) somewhat local to me, so I'm looking forward to it. it should be much better than traveling with and trying to get my huge heavy EQ mount to cooperate...I even have a small scope I might eventually try mounting on it, but at the beginning I think I'm going to stick with regular lenses until I get the hang of it all.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    slowly piecing things together to make the best setup with what I have. luckily I have some very sturdy equipment, should be good...looking forward to shooting some stars and DSO's next new moon.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Can't wait to see the photos you get with ypur new set up. Be sure and post them up so we can see the awesomeness
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    should be good, next new moon is during my days off from work, so I'm going to hope for clear skies and I'll drive out to the middle of nowhere and get some good imaging.

I'm still waiting on a few adapters to arrive so I can piece everything together, that the main problem is half the stuff I'm using is US made and using SAE threads/etc, the astrotrac is from the UK so it uses metric stuff, etc...I've already had to do some fabrication on a few things, but I should have everything set to use both the telescope/camera setup as well as regular lens/camera setups.

eventually I want to get a camera body that is modified for dedicated astronomy shooting (it has the IR filter removed from the sensor to allow infared and ultraviolet light through)....but that probably won't be for a while.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Sounds fun! Cant wiat ro see the images. I don't know anything about astrophotography but I like to watch what your doing.
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    its just like regular photography, but there are a few extra things and quirks to worry about, like the earth's rotation, and atmospheric effect (and light pollution), etc...stuff like that, but at it's core, its basically the same as regular photography...there are a lot of specialized stuff for astrophotography too, which can get expensive really quick depending on how deep someone wants to go in it. but its fun.

I might end up adding an astrophotography section to the forum too, since its not REALLY landscape, but it is "nature"...I dunno, it depends on how much interest there is in it, I don't want to be the only one posting in there.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog