Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Thread: Peoria camera shop

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Peoria camera shop

So thursday my dad and I went to peoria IL For a truck auction(for the business). After the auction we got lunch then we headed over to the peoria camera shop. This is the first time I have been in a real camera store, it was cool.

We talked to a guy there about lots of things; camera bodies, mirrorless bodies, micro 4/3's cameras. He nearly talked me into buying a D7100 hehe.
    They have a lot of stuff set up in the store. They have a nikon shelf, Canon shelf, sony cabinet, and a fuji cabnet.

The guy we talked to said he switched from a nikon DSLR over to the new fuji X-E1, he claims that the jpeg photos on the X-E1 are as good as the raw NEF. Files of a nikon when it comes to post processing. He also said the the fugi X-E1 has Better saturation, contrast, and exposer than his nikon.
    I would feel like a trader if I switched to a mirrorless body.

I almost picked up a manfrotto tripod while I was there but thought better of my financial situation. Lol

Peoria camera shop offers all in house printing, they are set up to print all kinds of stuff, Photo paper, foam backed board, metal, cups, mouse pads, and a hole array of other things. If it has a flat spot they can print on it.

The salesman showed me a neat (must have) a 10 stop adjustable filter. I forget the maker, but it is two pieces of glass and when you rotate them it gets up to 10 stops darker. At a cool $150 I'm in!

I grabbed a price sheet and online transfer instructions in case I plan to have them print my photos.

What a good time I'm ready to go to more shops!
    Last edited by NEF.D90; March 21st, 2014 at 10:51 PM.
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    yeah, camera shops are cool, we've got a local one that is fun. unfortunately our local one is pretty limited on what brands they carry, its only nikon, canon, hassy, and fuji, no third party lenses, no used items, etc...basically if it's not those 4 brands, and isn't the most recent version/style, they won't have it and won't get it. so that kindof sucks, but its better than nothing.

but remember salesmen aren't always the most knowledgeable, and they have their own preferences, and priorities (like pushing high profit items, commisions, etc). quite honestly it sounds like he was trying to push you into getting a X-E1 with false information. the X-E1 is cool, a great mirrorless, and does a good job for what it is, but some of that information is flat out wrong.

for example, claiming some camera has better saturation, contrast, and exposure than another is crazy. most contrast-like characteristics are dictated by the lens, not the camera body. exposure comes from your control of the light, not the camera body, f4 on a x-e1 is f4 on a nikon and it's also f4 on a canon, same with shutter speed, ISO is the same (however there are some tolerances in all these, like ISO 100 on one body may really be like ISO 105, and on another body may be more like 99, etc), but the difference is in the body's handling of things like noise, and color depth, and dynamic range.

if he's comparing jpeg to raw on 2 different bodies, he doesn't understand what a raw file is, or what a jpeg file is either, all raw files will require post processing to optimize them, jpegs are auto-processed, so they're not really directly comparable.

in the end no JPEG from anything will compare to any raw file from any camera in it's post processing ability regardless of brand, jpeg files are strictly 8 bit color only, where raw files are 12-14 bit which is SIGNIFICANTLY more...for example, 8 bits of color is 256 colors, 12 bit color (which is what a low raw file has) contains 4096 colors...14 bit (which is what high raw files have) are 16384 colors...thats significantly more data to control and adjust and work with...

for example here's one comparison between the XE-1 and a few nikons (d7000, d7100, and d800E, but you can change the bodies for comparison)...
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/stud...85131869147773

that's not to say the XE-1 is bad, or a poor camera, its pretty good, and has some cool things going for it actually, but that salesman was feeding you a bunch of BS about it from the sound of things, I'm guessing to try and make a sale, but its possible he just doesn't understand or is misinformed about those things.

yeah ND's are nice, I've got a 10 stop and a 3 stop, some of the variable ones are pretty good, but some of the low end ones aren't too great optically. personally I prefer just the single ones. I use a LEE kit at 4"x4" square filter sheets and use adapters that connect the same filters to most all my lenses so I don't need to but a bunch of different sizes of the same thing.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Ahhh. What would I do with out you! Lol so full of information and facts+links to back it up.
    Yea I had a really fun time there, the guy was nice and helpful but he was saying that he personally switched from a nikon DSLR to the fuji X-E1. Hah his choice not mine lol. I love my DSLR. Ya is heavy and larger but fire nearly the sane weight and size as my D90 I can blow that X-E1 outta the water on IQ and clarity, sooo I'm in. Lol

They also sold tamron lenses there, I asked him how they performed as far as CA he said it was nearly non existent. Hmm

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    mirorlesses are pretty cool, but IMO they won't replace DSLRs, at least not in the near future. you mean CA on tamron lenses in general? or was he still talking about the X-e1?
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    The tamron lens

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    kewl, some tamrons are good that way, others aren't, just like every manufacturer....I believe the tamron macro lenses are pretty good, but I've never used them personally.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog