Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reflex lenses

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Reflex lenses

I'm kinda curious about the 500mm f/8 reflex lenses and also the 1000mm f/11 lens.

What is the deal with these? Do they produce half decent Image quality?
    is there any particular brand to look for.

It is an f/8 or f/11 so bright daylight or long exposure would be best I would think
    Also a tripod would be a must at any shutter speed lower than say 1/1200

What are your thoughts on these?
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    they're interesting lenses for sure. they're cheap for their long focal length which is nice. they're not terrible, but not overly great either...

basically a reflex lens is a mirror telescope...so instead of having glass that the light passes through and gets focused down onto the sensor, the light gets bounced off 1 mirror, onto another mirror, and back on the sensor. they can give good shots like any lens, but most of them (at least the inexpensive ones) are very very slow compared to many other lenses...and the reflex lenses are all manual focus only so they're a little harder to use for things like action shots, etc...they're the exact same technology that reflector telescopes use.

So they can give good optical quality, but typically have very strange bokeh due to the secondary mirror (they usually call it donut bokeh)...but because there is no glass that the light is passing through, they typically have zero chromatic aberration...so its kindof a trade off depending on what you need them for. but they can offer a long focal length for low cost too.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NEF.D90 View Post
    I'm kinda curious about the 500mm f/8 reflex lenses and also the 1000mm f/11 lens.

What is the deal with these? Do they produce half decent Image quality?
    is there any particular brand to look for.

It is an f/8 or f/11 so bright daylight or long exposure would be best I would think
    Also a tripod would be a must at any shutter speed lower than say 1/1200

What are your thoughts on these?
    forgot you asked about brands. I know the old nikkor reflex lenses were pretty well made, I'm not so sure about the third party ones though, they may be good but personally if I were looking at getting one I'd probably be looking for a used nikkor reflex
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Ok thanks justin. Yea I didnt ask brands becuase I wanted a very general explanation of the type of lens and what they are used/good for.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    yeah, I don't know that I'd use them for sports/action/wildlife too much, they'll make the backgrounds look strange and would be more difficult to track/focus with...

if you're looking for less expensive long focal lengths, you'd probably be better looking at something like a sigma 50-500, or the new tamron 150-600...they'll be faster than the mirror lenses, and will offer autofocus...though they'll still be slower than the expensive super teles, and they're not as good optically. but for what they cost and do, they're not bad...I've been hearing pretty good things about that tamron 150-600, but I think its a bit more expensive than some.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Ok.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Yea I'm along way from a 500mm F/4 but I wouldn't mind exploring many different avenues of photography.
    With the reflex being an F/8 that won't effect much in daylight situations right?
    Being a slow lens only inducates that its best in bright light situations, and will not perform as well in low light and may require a tripod or stand.
    Does that sound right/accurate or is there me to it than that?

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    yeah you'd be limited to good light, or long exposure via tripod. take a look for donut bokeh, and see if its something you can live with for what you want to use it for:

here's a page with some good pics that show some of the limitations, as well as some benefits and examples of a reflex lens:
    http://hoaiphai.wordpress.com/2011/1...or-c-500mm-f8/
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I kinda like that look. I see that it's a bad thing to a trained eye, but really who's to judge what you think looks good. If it looks like crap to one photographer then a bunch of others may follow. Then later another photographer thinks outside the box uses the technique and the photo sells like hot cakes.
    Thats just how things work lol.

But really I think the donut bokeh doesn't bother me and rather its a way to know someone was using a reflex lens. It's like the lenses signature.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    yeah, its not all bad, and it can be pretty cool in situations. its just preference, they're also really light compared to other 500mm+ lenses, which comes in handy.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast