Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Acquiring a nikkor 70-200 F2.8 VRII

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Oh yea I forgot to mention it does come with a 77mm hoya filter on it.
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    $1300 is a really good condition VR1, like a 9 or 10, his I'd put more at a 7+ or 8 condition wise, which will knock off some value if you were to resell it.

yeah the VR1 is still a fantastic lens, you've seen that first hand, and it is a excellently well built professional lens, it does work on FX, but the image quality on FX towards the edges isn't quite up to par with what you see on DX, you can google 70-200 VR1 FX softness, or something like that, its a well known issue...again, not trying to talk you out of it or anything, just letting you know what you've got. if you're staying with DX for a while, its a killer lens, really doesn't have much flaws on the DX sensors.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NEF.D90 View Post
    Oh yea I forgot to mention it does come with a 77mm hoya filter on it.
    take that sucker off

clear/UV/Haze filters like that cause more image degrading than anything else, especially ghosting when shooting towards points of light.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Aaaaaannnnnndddddd I'm back!

Ok now I'm thinking about picking up a 70-200 VRII, I'm trying to decide if I should pick up a used lens or a new lens.
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...734779&alt=web
    This is a brand new lens from a dealer.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...540502&alt=web

This is an ended auction on the very low side of the price range.

I am not afraid of used equipment, in fact all my equipment is used. I just like the idea of the warranty and is only about $150 more than the high end of the used market.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...358816&alt=web
    High side of the used (as it should be considering the description)

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I don't know about that new one, I probably wouldn't go for it. there's no mention if it's US or grey market lens, so its probably grey market which means no service from Nikon USA ever.

personally I'd go used or refurbished. Adorama has a used VRII right now for $1719 and another at $1824
    http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/de...tegory=1000100

or you can get a factory refurbished one from nikon directly for $1899
    http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pro...furbished.html

Or lens authority has several in stock, this is a cool place to buy lenses from, they're a rental company that sells of their rentals after they get retired, but they are able to do optical testing on them and make sure everything is aligned and such, which I've never seen any other used lens seller do. they also go above and beyond grading everything on the lens in detail.
    https://www.lensauthority.com/produc...FcZcfgodzUsAIw

those are some options though. I'd probably go with any of these before ebay unless you get a great deal like that one that went for $1500ish
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes NEF.D90 liked this post

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    It's responses like these that have got me to where I am today in the photography world. You my friend are an absolute god send when it comes to info about these things.
    I'm thinking that refurbished nikkor sounds like a winner.
    Nikon refurbished is just like new right? I mean it will have used parts but they fix everything out of tolerance.
    Sites a refurbished lens come with the nikon 5 year?

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    for the minimal increase in price, I would definitely go with refurbished, they'll even have a 90 day warranty from Nikon, but getting it directly from Nikon, you will have tax though too, you can see if you can find a refurb from an authorized distributor as well, but I didn't see any when I looked around.

yeah, so a refurb is either a lens that was pulled from the manufacturing line to have testing done, or a lens that had been purchased and returned, or something that had been returned to manufacturer, or something like that, but then it has been gone through by Nikon and either fixed or in some way certified to be 'as new' by nikon themselves. I've had several refurbished items from nikon and never had an issue with one, my d800e is a refurb, it had a total of 17 shots on the shutter when I got it so I think it was probably a sample pulled from the production line. but it's worked flawlessly for the years I've had it.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    So it will not have the 5 year warranty card?

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    no, refurbs don't have a 5 year warranty, they just have 90 days, but new warranties aren't transferable, so buying one used comes with no warranty at all, even if it has that paper from the original owner.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Ok. I think lens authority was offering a 2 year but I'll have to check that.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast