Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Thread: Lens fungus

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Lens fungus

So I would like to know more about peoples experience with this lens fungus thing.
    After looking at photos on google of lens fungus I think I have some on my
    70-300 F4/5.6
    My top element has what looks like condensation on the inside. The photos I saw on google looks very similar to what I have.
    I kinda wonder if it is even worth having it cleaned, the lens costs under $100.
    So tell me what you know and have seen with lens fungus.
    I read a post on-line that one person had it so bad in his lens that the elements had to be replaced and the pc board was effected.
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I live in the desert so I have virtually no problems with lens fungus out here whatsoever. you can call a place to see if it's cleanable, sometimes the fungus will etch itself into the lens elements, so it makes simple cleaning not effective because you'd be looking at needing to replace the glass elements. if this is the older 70-300, honestly I don't think it'd be worth the effort to even clean it, especially if you're getting a 70-200.

Fungus comes from moisture, what you'll want to do is keep some reusable desiccant in where you store your equipment to keep moisture out of the air, and keep your equipment dry and clean (i.e. if you're out shooting in the weather, make sure you clean and dry it well before putting it back in the case.)
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

I live in the tropics so this is a major problem. I bought electronic dry boxes to store my optics and keep it at 45% relative humidity to keep any growth from happening.
    Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    what kind of dry boxes do you use Dolina?

I know guys out in the more humid states will use a hard pelican case (which is what I use), and put desiccant packets in it, replacing them every once in a while. but its not much of an issue out here, I think our relative humidity most months is around 30-45%, in the winter we can get up to 60-70% but it doesn't usually last long.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Yea well it's humid here. My house stays around 60%
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    yeah, get some desiccant at least.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog