So I've had a Manfrotto 410 in the past as my main head (I'm a geared head fan, ball heads are far too imprecise for me, same with 3 way heads, fluid heads, gimbal heads, non-geared pano heads) but the 410 was huge, and heavy and cumbersome, and really wasn't all that robust by manfrotto's specs (although I never had problems with mine)...but I recently got an Arca-Swiss D4 which is fantastic, only slightly larger than a good ball head, and has some great features going for it...the problem is that the people at arca-swiss are so full of themselves that they've permanently glued (yes GLUED) their sub-standard clamp onto the head...the head itself is fantastic and a great piece of engineering, but the clamp is mediocre at best. I've never had a head that had the clamp affixed like this...I'm not talking locktite, not even red locktite, they've used some kind of industrial epoxy or something on the standard mounting bolt so that customers can't change it out...Arca is known for exceptional workmanship in their heads but not so much in their clamps, and as this is my first arca head I'd agree. I prefer the really right stuff clamps (I like their lever clamps, but their screw clamps are very nice, better than the arca as well)...

I'm not sure what arca was thinking when they glued the clamp on there. its very very common for people to switch out head clamps for various other types and brands to suit their needs, so either arca is just so arrogant that they refuse to allow other brand clamps to be attached to their heads, or maybe they just think all their customers are idiot and are going to screw up a simple clamp swap (not sure how that would even be possible to screw it up...unless some d-bag company started GLUING the clamps on and requiring people to take extreme measures to swap the clamps)....

regardless of that, they've never met me...a little time with some tools and a oxi-mapp torch, and I've removed the arca clamp safely. now just waiting for my RRS clamp to arrive and install...

while I'm extremely impressed with the build, quality and function of this head, the audacity of a company to glue a simple clamp on is ridiculous. I think this will be my last arca-swiss brand equipment that I'll be buying...I really wanted a C1 cube as well, but I'm refusing to pay their insane prices, so I'm just going to build my own.