Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Thread: Getting Flashed

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Getting Flashed

The following has been moved here from the chat thread due to import topic specific information.
    thank you Aloicious.

Yikes. I'm posting stuff on FB to sell so I can buy a new sb-800 flash
    Last edited by NEF.D90; August 13th, 2014 at 08:57 PM.
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Nikon flashes are nice, but what I'd ask is do you need an SB-800? I use some excellent flashes that work great, have built in wireless, and are less than $100 each. with the SB800, if you want to do off-camera flash (you will) you'll need something like pocketwizards, which work great, but are EXPENSIVE, in order to do it. an SB-800 will run $200-500 on the used/old stock new, then for wireless you'll need a transmitter to go on the camera, and a receiver to go on each flash (PW+ III is $150, that'd go on the camera, then a PW TT5 to go on the flash, would be another $230, and you'll need more TT5's depending on if you add more flashes later)...
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Why can't I use the nikon creative lighting system built into the camera?

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NEF.D90 View Post
    Why can't I use the nikon creative lighting system built into the camera?
    yeah you can, but the CLS system is inferior to an actual wireless setup IMO, with the CLS, you'll need to have a flash on the camera (or use the built in flash) to act as the commander flash to trigger the other off camera flashes. and personally I don't want to HAVE to use an on camera flash, that's the whole reason for using remote flashes, is to get them off and away from the camera and have more control...and the remote flashes have to be within the line of sight for CLS to trigger them because it's the light from the on-camera flash that sets the others off. CLS is decent, but it's not without its downfalls.

I prefer doing things wirelessly, with a transmitter on the camera and flashes that can receive the signal, I don't need any flash on-camera, and the wireless signal can transmit through small obstacles that may be in the way of the remote flashes, etc. it just offers more flexibility and usability IMO.

this is what I use, its a manual flash, so no TTL or anything (I don't like TTL anyways), but it's got a built in wireless receiver in it and puts out about as much light as an SB700 IIRC: http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Profes.../dp/B00BXA7N6A

then I've got one of these on the camera to transmit the wireless signal (comes as a pair, but only one is needed on the camera since the flashes already have the receiver built into them): http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-RF-603...JTH7DKS3YB1AG0

and that's what I use, I actually have 3 of those flashes, and they all receive the same signal from that transmitter so I can use multiple off camera flashes, and I don't require any 'master' or 'commander' flash on the camera. and that extra transmitter that comes with the pair can be used as a wireless shutter trigger too, so I can remotely trip the shutter as well as relay the flash signal.

CLS can do well, just understand it's limitations.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the info. So you like your yongnuo flashes?

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    oh yeah, for limited flash work that I do they are great. I used to have SB700's and pocket wizards for wireless, and they worked excellent, but were so expensive, and pretty bulky having the flash on top of the receiver, etc. so I tried out the 560III's when they came out, and sold my Nikon flashes and pocket wizards, and all I have are the yonguno flashes now. and the wireless remote shutter release is really nice too, I can walk around with one of the flashes with the camera on a tripod and use the remote release to light paint a scene really easily.

however, if you're just looking at casual flash use, and things here or there, speedlights like the yonguno's work great, however if you are getting really deep into flash and lighting control and stuff, like serious portraiture or studio work, I'd skip speedlights altogether and go for a strobe or pack and head setup.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Getting Flashed

I Need to learn more about flashes So I'm starting this thread.
    also I'm moving some posts form the chat thread over here.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    got 'em moved?
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Yea

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    heh.

like we were talking about, I don't do tons of flash, but I like it when I do. having the control of the lighting is great, it does take a little to learn to set the flash power and such (I only shoot manual flashes, TTL isn't very good IMO, its like the green 'auto' mode of flashes, sometimes it does okay, but I find it's rarely the case, especially if you're only off camera, or trying to do some creative lighting, etc)...

that's another reason I like the youguno (ah I hate trying to remember how to spell that, Im just going to refer to them as YN flashes from now on) YN flashes, they're cheap, work well, easy to integrate, which makes them good to learn with. plus the 560's are manual only flashes. then if you want to get further into flash and lighting and stuff, I'd just jump straight to strobes, IMO the Nikon/canon/etc brand flashes, although good, and well made, are just too expensive for what they are. and since you'd be familiar with using manual flashes with the YN's the strobes will be pretty easy to use since they're basically the same (though they put out WAY more power and light)...

I used to have some Paul C Buff Einstein strobes and liked them a lot, very good, reasonably inexpensive. the problem is that for my type of shooting (i.e. journalism for my sites) they were just too much to transport, etc, so they didn't get much use. I did use them shooting Whipped's truck for the spotlight on GTC, and I used them for a couple family shots with my brother's family. and really liked them. If I did more people work, I'd totally still have them for sure.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog