Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Thread: 500-1000mm telescope

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

500-1000mm telescope

This really interests me. on ebay they sell these scopes that will attach to an F mount. I have no idea what the optical quality is or the light intake.
    I have seen a couple reviews and photos taken with them.
    The reviews are mixed at best.
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    waste of money...they're really low end and poor quality. I'd stay far away from them, the basic reason they exist is to get curious people to waste money on them. sure they will mount on your camera and they have some glass in them that will project an image, but they will be very hard and frustrating to use. if you're wanting a telescope, get a proper telescope and mount for your camera, and a proper support, if you want a supertele lens, get a proper supertele lens, but something like this will just make life difficult.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.
    Likes NEF.D90 liked this post

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    After doing more research I now see that they are poorly built and are best for video.
    Like you said waste of money.
    But always cool to keep an eye out to see what might be developing. Technology never sleeps.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    even really poor for video, remember they're built like telescopes, so you can't change the aperture to stop down and improve IQ, you get what you get, they're only manual focus, and with f8, that's not much light to manual focus by, at least for anything not perfectly still. basically, they're super cheap and low grade lens element inside a PVC pipe with a focusing ring.

if you don't mind manual focus, you'd be MUCH better off looking at old lenses, like the old 500mm f4P from nikon, its a manual focus lens, but gives the optical performance very similar to the current 500 f4 VR. they still go for around $1-2k, but compared to $8-9k for a new 500 f4, its a bargain....but its hard (but not impossible) to manual focus for quick moving subjects like animals, so it's a bit less practical than a good AF lens.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes NEF.D90 liked this post

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I just want to add to this thread. I had an opportunity to see one of these in person. This is a poorly built piece of glass and if you value the subject that you are photographing then you shouldn't bother wasting your money on one of these.
    Had noticeable CA on all edges, and shapes are rather soft.
    Likes Aloicious liked this post

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    nice! thanks for the followup
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog