Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: purchasing a Carbon Fiber Tripod

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

purchasing a Carbon Fiber Tripod

so among all the other High dollar photography goodies I'm looking into buying I also need an awesome tripod.
    I am choosing carbon fiber for its weight, Rigidity, and it's vibration resistance.
    I know it is going to cost in the high hundreds low thousands. This is an investment, money is not the deciding factor.
    I need a good tripod with no center pole.
    would like it to be 57" - 60" tall
    carbon fiber
    and I'm planning to have a ballhead on top.

so, what to look for as far as brands?
    Feisol
    Gitzo
    Manfrotto
    Giottos
    Sirui
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sirui-R-4203...item1c46350b16

check this out. maybe a good start. has some of the features I'm looking for. well... most of the features.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    basically I look at them like this, the top of the line, best of the best fall into 2 brands, Gitzo or really right stuff....then there are the good, but more budget minded options like Feisol, Induro, Manfrotto and a few others. Then there are some other brands that make good and not so good models as well.

you basically get 3 options when it comes to tripods: light weight, high stability, low cost...you get to choose any 2 of those...

I'll write more here in a little bit, I gotta go help my patients (at work right now)
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.
    Likes NEF.D90 liked this post

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Ok, will that's a good start. What do you think of that link I posted?

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure it's a decent tripod, looks okay, but for $500 starting bid and retail over $600, I'd probably say just save up a couple hundred more and get something like an RRS rather than compromising....tripods aren't something that you really need to get something 'to start with' its not like you'll need to learn to use them, you'll be money and time ahead of the game just to get what you want off the bat.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I'll post more in a min, still busy helping patients out
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Right and that's how I feel. I thought maybe if it was a good deal I'd be interested.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    yeah, its really not that great of a deal actually. let me give some info when I can really sit down and explain it better
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Ok that would be fantastic

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    So the 'off brand' tripods like that are decent (ok so they're not like generic POS off brands, they're decent, but they're not like mainstream high end brands either), some are pretty good too. but most all will make sacrifices somewhere. for example, that one from the link has a nice holding capacity. good height, good low height. but it's folded length is over 30", that's not too compact (my gitzo that I used to have extended to over 9 FEET tall fully extended, but when collapsed it was around 28", this sirui is larger than that collapsed and only goes to 70" extended), and it weighs 5.3lbs. which is pretty heavy for what it is (my RRS is 4.3 lbs which is a significant amount lighter, over 20%, it also colapses smaller, holds more weight, etc)...then there is the price, at $600 new, its not cheap, and definitely getting to the same ballpark as a gitzo or RRS. if it were something like $300, that might be a different story, but at $600, its not worth the size/weight compromises for pretty minimal savings...

here's your specs you wanted: 57-60" max height, no center column, carbon fiber.

so with those specs you'll need to understand there is no such thing as a perfect tripod, you'll have to make compromises somewhere, for example, a large tripod that can extend really tall, will probably not collapse very short, and will probably weigh more, so do you need smaller/lighter for hiking/carrying more than you need max height? that sort of thing.

So personally, I've owned Gitzo, Feisol, RRS, Manfrotto, Bogen, and a few other tripods, and if you're going to make an investment in a good solid long lasting tripod, you're basically looking at Gitzo or RRS is what it comes down to IMO, so if money isn't the main factor, I wouldn't even be looking at the other brands personally...as far as which is better, RRS or Gitzo, that's just more of a personal thing, its like Canon vs Nikon, and whichever you get (RRS or Gitzo) it will likely give you years of good use and hold its resell value much better than others as well.

Personally, I've owned both, and I prefer RRS slightly...and I say slightly because they're both top notch quality products and I've enjoyed using them both.

basically, here are some reasons I prefer the RRS to the gitzo, they're all just nit-picking stuff though...the RRS metal parts are machined aluminum that is powdercoated, where the gitzo is a cast magnesium alloy that is painted. the mag alloy casting is good, but if you have an impact or heavy use over time, has a higher chance of breakage than the billit aluminum (its not common, but there are reports of gitzo metal parts that fracture, I have yet to hear that about the RRS aluminum parts), the powder coating also resists scratches better than paint since it's actually a bonded finish rather than just a paint. second, the top plate (the part that your head will mount on) on the RRS has a locking ring that locks it together with the legs, where the gitzos use the friction from a split ring only (the newest model gitzo's have put in a safety lock which basically eliminates this, but if you're looking at used gitzo's they're all just friction locks which IMO are inferior to the way RRS locks the top plate in place. The ratchetting offset leg locks on the RRS are very nice and handyif you're adjusting things with one hand, the gitzo lacks that. RRS is known for much better customer service than gitzo, gitzo is owned by manfrotto and is based in europe or somewhere, so if you need help you're going to be contacting a distributor or reseller in the US rather than the actual headquarters, RRS is a small business based in southern CA, if you call them, you're calling the manufacturer directly, and they're known for having excellent customer service where gitzo isn't...and lastly, RRS is a small US business, as a small business owner, I like to support fellow small business owners making quality products when I can.

So thats about it, realistically you'll get a quality product with either one, and alot of it is just nit-picking, but I figure if I'm spending close to $1k for a tripod, I should get as much of what I'm wanting/needing as I can.

I like the RRS 3 series, I've got a TVC-33 right now and am very happy with it, there is also the TVC-34L which extends a little higher and has 4 leg sections instead of 3, both are excellent. for me, more important than the max height a tripod can go, is how LOW the tripod can go, very rarely do I have it fully extended unless I'm on uneven hillside or something. more often than not I'm down near the ground to get good perspective, etc...so I opted for the 33 since they both go just as low, the 33 can't extend as high, but it's also lighter and less expensive than the 34L (and I got it used, so score)
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes NEF.D90 liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast