Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Thread: How to pick a good sigma?

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

How to pick a good sigma?

So everyone knows that sigma had a bad rep in the early years and we're known for affordable glass that did the job for average joe.

What I would like to discuss is how to pick out a good sigma that has all the makings of a quality piece of "fast glass"
    Is their a specific term to look for that can tell you if it is a higher end sigma?
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Here are some of the terms I know.
    DC: This means the lens is made for a crop sensor.
    HSM: This stands for (hyper sonic motor) and refers to the fast and quiet auto focus motor in the lens.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    so sigma recently has undergone a pretty major shift with a new CEO and new build/marketing strategy, the current and new line of lenses are known under the "global vision" branding, basically: 'Art' lenses which cater to highest optical quality and typically fast/constant apertures without much regard for size and weight of the lens, then there is 'sport' lenses which cater to focus speed and agility, they are usually a high optical quality as well, but may or may not be ultra fast apertures there is also less regard to lens weight and size, though it is likely a moderate concern with sports lenses. then there are 'contemporary' lenses, which focus on convenience and light weight, they will typically be slower or variable apertures, optical quality is not paramount, but is still a concern, these would be the consumer and budget lenses.

in the past they've used a plethora of monikers for lenses
    DC means the lens is for a APS-C or crop sensor camera (i.e. DX)
    DG means the lens is for a full frame camera (i.e. FX)
    HSM is the hyper sonic motor similar to AF-S in nikon terms
    EX is the old moniker for their 'professional' or higher end lens lines
    OS stands for Optical Stabilization, its similar to VR in nikon terms or IS in canon terms

then there are other ones that are kindof specific to the lens build and such like:
    RF - Rear Focusing
    IF - Internal Focusing
    APO - Apochromatic
    ASP - Asherical element
    SLD - Special Low Dispersion elements
    ELD - Extra low dispersion elements
    FLD - F Low dispersion elements
    TSC - Thermally Stable composite

The problem sigma has had in the past has been a higher than normal rate of 'bad' lens samples mostly from less vigilant quality control at the factory. All mass produced items will have a percentage of bad products make it to market, but the old sigmas tended to have a higher incidence of this than other manufacturers like nikon, canon, zeiss, etc.

some lenses they've made have been excellent ever since they have been introduced....provided you get a good sample of the lens, some of those are their 85mm f1.4 EX, 150mm F2.8 EX Macro, and 120-300 f2.8 EX lenses. The 120-300 has always been optically excellent, but the early versions have been known for mechanical problems like motors failing, etc.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Wow, that's unfortunate that you have the possibility of picking up a bad sample.
    I would life to buy a (24-70 F2.8),
    They are about half if what a nikkor costs.

I'm also considering a (70-200 2.8 OS) from sigma because again it goes for around $700 used.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Being that this is 90% hobby and 10% paid business would you say that I would be best off to start with some of the older professional sigma lenses.
    (I.e) the (24-70mm 2.8 IF HSM)?
    Also the (70-200 2.8 IF HSM APO OS) the (85mm 1.4 HSM)
    Those are 3 of the lenses I would like to put in my collection.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    you have a chance of getting a bad sample with any lens, Nikon, canon, zeiss, Hasselblad, anything.

I don't think the optical quality of the sigma 24-70 was ever anything to write home about if I remember correctly. I think the newest tamron is a good 24-70 f2.8 option though. I've never tried it but I hear good things.

no, I wouldn't recommend going with the older sigmas except those few that I mentioned in the other post. I'd go for older nikkor's WAY before an older sigma. remember that it is only recently that sigma has stepped up their game with the art/sports/contemporary lenses. before that they were really only mediocre at best with only a few great lenses that stood out. really the only older (pre-global vision) lenses I'd even consider looking at would be the 85 f1.4, 150mm f2.8 macro, maybe the 120-300 f2.8. there are a few oddballs that are good too like the 500 f4.5 and 800 f5.6, 200-500 f2.8, but they are either pretty rare and hard to come by, or extremely expensive (that 200-500 is like $25,000), or both.

out of those options you listed, the only one I'd consider even looking at would be the 85 f1.4 if you need a 70-200, either get an older Nikon 80-200 or save up for the current 70-200 f2.8 VRII or F4...if you need a 24-70 I'd look at either the older ninon 28-70 f2.8, the newest tamron 24-70 f2.8, or save up for the current Nikon 24-70
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.
    Likes NEF.D90 liked this post