Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Acquiring a nikkor 70-200 F2.8 VRII

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Acquiring a nikkor 70-200 F2.8 VRII

Well if all goes well I may be trading a 1991 s-10 blazer 4x4 and a 1991 jeep cherokee for a nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII
    I have played with this lense before.
    The photos of the great blue heron were taken with the exact lens I'm trading for.

He drove the blazer tonight and will be driving the cherokee tomorrow.
    Hope it works out for me.
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    sweet! the 70-200 VRII is a fantastic lens...its the perfect mix of sharpness and utility there is IMO, great for everything from portraits to sports, and it takes teleconverters pretty well (though you may need to fine tune them if you do use TC's)...to give you an example of how useful this lens is to me, I was downsizing my gear lately because I needed some money for unrelated issues...but I sold a 105 f2.5 AIS with rare SIC coating (one of the most revered manual focus lenses ever), a zeiss 135mm f2.0 ZF.2 (THE sharpest lens ever tested by DXOMark, and a full stop faster than the 70-200), my 85mm f1.8G (widely regarded as the best bang for the buck 85mm performing almost as good as the 1.4G which is 5x more expensive, and it's also 1 1/3 stop faster than the 70-200), my sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro non-OS (one of the best macro lenses around in a very usable focal length)....and I kept the 70-200 VRII...

So while the 70-200 VRII might not be quite as sharp as the zeiss 135, it might not be as fast as the nikon 85 f1.8 or zeiss 135, and it might not do macro 1:1 shots like the sigma....it's got excellent and consistent performance across the entire zoom range, its as sharp or sharper than many primes in the same range giving prime-like performance even wide open...and its got nikon's excellent second generation of VR...its part of the 'trinity' of zooms, and for good reason, in fact I've owned the entire trinity and then some...and through time, the 70-200 is the only one I still have...

those heron shots were great, that looks like a good solid copy of the lens. make sure it's well taken care of, make sure the filter ring threads are straight and clean (if it's been dropped on the filter ring, you can usually see it where the threads aren't perfectly true all the way around)...make sure it comes with the removable foot, original padded case, and hood too. ideally the original box with the paperwork as well (if you ever decide to sell it, those will help out a lot)
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Things to look for if it has been dropped would be?...
    I know it was dropped in the past the hood has a small crack but it seems to perform great as you can see in the photos.
    Is there anything I should look for as far as maybe an internal type problem?
    The hood has a crack.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    okay, so just dents/dings, if you look at the filter thread area and it's not true around the whole thing, if you have a 77mm filter you can try to thread on it, if it binds on the threads without dirt or something else fouling it, that might be an indication. if you know it was dropped on the hood and the hood is cracked that may be an issue. though it seems to be performing fine. try taking a series of pictures at a single stationary target across various focal lengths and zoom ranges to make sure it's fully working correctly and nothing is out of alignment inside (when you review the test pics you're looking for uniformity across the frame. so if you find at some aperture and focal length one side of the frame seems to be soft or have some issues or something. that would be an indication of mis-alignment.

the VRII's go for ~$1600-$1900 used. if it's got a cracked hood that is an indication of a drop or something, might be nothing to worry about especially if it performs flawlessly, but depending on it's overall condition I'd probably put it closer to the $1650 range price-wise.

also look through the lens without caps on, and manually open the aperture (there is a tiny little lever on the rear camera side mount that you can push down to manually open it up, and look through it against a light or white wall or something and see if you see any anomalies like fungus which will look like a spot of patterned haze on one of the glass elements (google image search for lens fungus to see some examples)...don't worry too much about dust in the lens, that's pretty normal, as long as its not an EXCESSIVE amount.

also pay attention to how the aperture opens when you're looking through it, the aperture blades should move smooth and easily, make sure it doesn't stick or bind anywhere along the travel while opening it.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Ok. I will be sure to look at all of those things while inspecting it.
    That camera service company in chicago told him $100 to clean the lens. I will call and check that price, also make sure thats a clean and calibrate.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Nick (the current owner) told me a while back that the lens came from a friend of his and he was there when it dropped. Said it was less than six inches.
    I will still talk with him about getting the lens so I can Inspect.
    EDIT: this info is incorrect. See next post.
    Last edited by NEF.D90; July 16th, 2014 at 07:16 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    My misteak I just talked to nick (offroadk5) and he reminded me that it was not the 70-200 that had been dropped, it was his 70-300. The 70-200 was on a body and the P.O turned around and bumped the hood into a wall and thats how it cracked. It, to his knowledge has never been dropped and shows no signs of a drop.
    I will be checking for fungus still and I think I'll have it cleaned and calibrated shorty after I take ownership of it.
    Last edited by NEF.D90; July 16th, 2014 at 07:17 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I don't know that I'd have some third party camera shop do an alignment on it. aligning the elements requires some high precision equipment that most places don't have. especially with advanced lenses like VR ones. if it doesn't show mis-alignment issues, I wouldn't even bother with a clean and align...you could send it to Nikon to get a CLA done (clean, lube, adjust) but although Nikon should do it right with the right specs and equipment, Nikon is notoriously slow, and I'm not sure what I'd cost, I'd guess at least a couple hundred with back and forth shipping. I had the seller CLA my 500 F4 before I bought it and Nikon took like 2 months to just clean and adjust it (and replace the focus ring, but still)...(the ONLY camera shop other than Nikon that I'd say to use would be APC, not sure if that's the one you called, but they're authorized Nikon repair place so I would think they have the proper equipment, and should be faster than Nikon itself, so if that's the place you called, then that'd be a possibility)

if you can check it out and look at it, make sure it's good and clean and functional, without alignment issues, you should be okay without servicing it.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    whoa, hold on a second, is that picture of the actual lens you're looking at getting? tell me this, on the top of the lens it should have "VR" embossed on it, is the VR letters written in gold, or red?

*Answer those questions avobe BEFORE you get this lens, if that pic is the actual lens you're getting I don't think it is what you are under the impression it is*
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast