Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work flow or processor?

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Work flow or processor?

My computer likes to lock up or freeze quite often when I'm try to process my photos. I shoot RAW with my D600 (24mp)
    The file sizes are often over 20MB.
    My current computer is just an older gateway laptop with an I3 processor.

Is there anything I can do to help this laptop handle these files better until I get a new computer?

I also import all my photos directly to a 2TB external hard drive.
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    what is your typical workflow? older laptops will be the most taxed when working with large files, but refining your flow can help a lot. like explain it step by step from the time you take a group of pictures to the completed point.

Ideally you won't want to be editing on a laptop, the screens are poor for photo work, but if that's all you got, its better than nothing.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.
    Likes NEF.D90 liked this post

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloicious View Post
    what is your typical workflow? older laptops will be the most taxed when working with large files, but refining your flow can help a lot. like explain it step by step from the time you take a group of pictures to the completed point.

Ideally you won't want to be editing on a laptop, the screens are poor for photo work, but if that's all you got, its better than nothing.
    Well I work primarily in LR (light room)
    I import images to my external hard drive, then I edit the photos I like. When I am Finished editing a photo I will export it to my in internal HD.
    End process

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    no I mean like, do you import them all in bulk directly through LR and then inspect them all in LR to figure out which ones to edit or not, or do you inspect them using other software, are you having lightroom do the transfers from your SD card and then onto your external drive or are you using a different method. are you plugging your camera into the computer with the USB cable, or are you removing your memory card and using a card reader....stuff like that...take me through the nitty gritty of what exactly you do, what programs you use, and what steps are really taking the computer the longest to do...everything that happens to the files after you trip your shutter both on a bulk and individual basis (not worried about the actual steps of editing them like curves or anything, unless there is some specific step that is taking way too long for the computer to process it or something).

also what are the specs of your editing computer
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Oh ok, I import via the sd port on the laptop.
    I open LR5 library, and go to import. then I will import the files into the library. They will store in a folder on the external hard drive.
    I would just import them directly to the hard drive but then I'm not sure if I could view them. Reason being is because I can't view raw files on my laptop (outside of LR or nikon NX2.).
    Maybe there is a better way for me to do this, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I've seen lots of people get slow down when using LR so extensively, especially when importing a large number of files into LR simultaneously, try doing this:

pop your SD card in the card reader, and copy them over to your external hard drive manually (though a file manager program of some sort, this is a windows machine if it's the gateway you mentioned before, so just go to 'computer' and move the files from the SD to the folder you create on the external drive, or wherever), then eject the SD card and put it back in the camera.

then open Nikon NX2 and view all the files (from wherever you transfered them to, i.e. external hard drive, whatever, just not off the SD directly) that way to inspect them and decide which ones you want to work on and which ones you won't, then, go into LR or PS, and import or open one file at a time to work with, do what you want to it, then save it, and go to import or open the next file. (this is what I do with PS, but I don't use LR at all, so I can't comment on the LR procedure)

see if that helps with the system speed. basically do everything you can outside of LR before going into LR, then limit the amount of files you're working on simultaneously if you can.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I'm now uploading some recent photos and I'm copying them straight to the external drive. 18-19MBs via tera copy

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I'm not familiar with tera copy.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloicious View Post
    I'm not familiar with tera copy.
    Adam (hicks) recommended it.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    yeah I'm sure its fine, I'm just not familiar with it. did you try doing you previews in view NX instead of LR? did it help at all?
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast