Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Thread: 1 lens fits all

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

1 lens fits all

Hey everyone, I'm really thinking about getting a wide range short telephoto zoom (at least I think that's what it falls under)
    Looking at either the
    Nikkor 24-120 F.4
    uploadfromtaptalk1444105675265.png

Or the sigma 24-105mm f4 art.
    uploadfromtaptalk1444105723782.png

I can pick up the nikkor used for around $800
    Or wait for a sigma to be available.
    I'm not in a big hurry as I don't have the cash just lying around.
    But this would be a lens that I used on a daily basis for just shooting maybe landscapes or the occasional bird/wildlife on the go.

You see I carry my camera in the semi truck with me when I'm working and switching primes in a hurry is rather cumbersome.
    So I'm looking for a lens that can cover my needs even if it mean sacrificing a stop or 2 of light, I'll live.

What do you think of these two lenses? Is there another option that I should maybe consider?

Thanks for stopping in and reading my post, I look forward to the comments.
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    going with a lens like those will compromise on quite a bit in terms of image quality for the sake of convenience. don't expect prime-like quality from them. however, if your situation dictates that something like this would be more useful, then go for it. those ones should be fairly decent, but don't expect to do much bird/wildlife stuff with them. 105 or 120 just aren't going to cut it for that unless you're able to get REALLY close. but it could be a decent general purpose travel lens.

really it comes down to what you need, no lens is perfect, and while primes offer a lot of benefits, they can be a bit less convenient at times. you may think about renting them and see if the focal range and use is going to be valuable to you or not before you drop the money to buy one.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    I'd go for it simply for convenience. I was looking at getting a 14-150 for the Olympus body but I still haven't bought a body lol
    Olympus E-620 borrowed

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    hehe. yeah I guess you'd need to have a body before getting a lens haha...

Steve. if you're looking for convenience, I think either one would be a good lens, both would be better than those ultra-super zooms like the 18-200 or 24-300 or whatever they are. those 2 that you posted will give better overall results with less compromise on quality, they're also faster at full zoom. I used to have a 18-200 when I first switched over to digital photography, it was ok and good enough to get by, but I was consistently disappointed with the IQ results, especially like CA, and such.

personally out of those 2 I'd probably go for the sigma mainly because you can use the dock with it for focus tuning at various points in the zoom and focus range which is really beneficial on zoom lenses IMO. unless you absolutely need that additional 15mm of zoom length, but it really won't make a huge difference in real life IMO.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

1 lens fits all

I have found the best way for me to decide on a new lens is go to Flickr and look at actual pictures taken with the lens. There is a group of pictures posted on there for just about any lens you can think of. I have seen the Nikon 24-120 being sold new lately for less than 600.00 because the lens is not that good of a lens according to people that own it. You can find them used all day long for 500.00 so be careful where you buy. I don't own one but have noticed great image quality posted from the Nikon 28-300 zoom. The Nikon 70-300 4.5-5.6 VR ll fx lens is one of the best lens for the money that Nikon makes. Again look at Flickr and be sure and get the right version because some of them are very bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zeke4351; November 10th, 2016 at 12:27 PM.