Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monitors and 5k displays

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Monitors and 5k displays

So my work recently gave me a couple older monitors that they were going to throw out when I told them I could use them...they are actually pretty nice all due considering, I was checking their specs on getting them home, and they're 10-bit IPS displays (dell ultrasharp 2410's) so I set 'em up and I'm really digging the 10 bit output on them (I already am running a workstation firepro card so it supports the 10 bit output that most cards dont). I'm getting 97% adobe RGB coverage on them, my old 2412 ultrasharp was only a 8 bit display covering 74% adobe RGB, and I'm loving the deep colors and smoother gradients on these...so I put one of the 2410's on my desktop, and the other on my wife's (she's also got a firepro w/10bit per color output)...and I decided to upgrade my 2412 to one of these fancy ultra high def displays, so I got a HP 5k display.

so the 5k is really nice too (also 10 bit), and I've got most everything setup to work properly with the ultra high def pixel density. however when I use photoshop on it (I have to use the 200% UI scaling mode), it turns off the entire top bar (i.e. the bar that has the cropping aspect ratio controls, etc) anyone else ever seen anything like that? I know that 4k and 5k displays aren't fully widespread now, so this may be a problem that goes away with time, but it is causing a bit of a problem since I don't have any of those controls available to me anymore. seems like a bug with the UI scaling but without that, everything is so tiny on the 5k that I can't read anything. lol
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    This is super cool! I wish you had gotten a third monitor I would totally buy it off you. I can't decide between the ultra sharp series and the Asus monitors.

I was talking to a guy (by the name of Damien Symonds)
    He runs a photo restoration company. And also an extensive page of information about colour correction and editing.
    He also runs a Facebook page called (ask damien) I had asked him the other day about wide gamut displays and Adobe RGB.
    He was telling me that processing in Adobe RGB does little to no good, because very few print labs can print in Adobe RGB.
    That being said what's the point of having a screen that produces 5k and 99% adobe RGB if the print lab can't get it onto the paper!.

What are your thoughts on this?
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    5k has nothing to do with print, that's just the pixels on the screen, so more pixels means more basically more space, to a point. for example I can fit a 14MP image on a 5k screen at 100% pixel for pixel. There are some downsides I'm finding to the high resolution screen though, mostly just scaling related since not everything is fully compatible with the high res yet. but its not too bad and will get better.

Adobe RGB is just a colorspace, he's right as far as print goes, however I rarely print much at all so its not a concern with me. a wider gamut screen is closer to approximating real life color though, and being able to display a higher range does help with many things for example with video, many times the color space used is different than sRGB (which is standard print/web use) and being able to cover near, or over 100% of many different outputs comes in handy when you need to standardize to a specific colorspace, its not necissarily about working in AdobeRGB 100% of the time, its about headroom. its kindof like a musician buying an amplifier, they don't buy one that just barely reaches the volume they need, they buy one that exceeds their needs to allow for variances, and allow for room to grow.

its also worth mentioning that 8 bits only cover 98-99% of sRGB, while 10 bit is 100%. so there may be a slight, although probably imperceptible difference even within sRGB colors.

There is also other benefits to working with 10 bits of output that aren't simply from a wider absolute gamut (i.e. colors outside of sRGB), but its about more colors across the board, so you get smoother gradients, less dithering, and have more control over such in the final output too.

So while he's accurate on print ability, there is more to it than just that, granted many or most people don't NEED 10 bit/color output, but its erroneous to claim that no one does because printing technology isn't there yet.

As far as buying a monitor, both the ultrasharp dells and the higher end Asus models are great...if you want to go with 10 bit, its not quite so simple as just grabbing a monitor because you need a workstation videocard too (Nvidea Quadro, or AMD Firepro). but you'll definitely want to get a 8 bit IPS display at least. Other good (or even better ones) that are out there are HP dreamcolor, NEC PA monitors, Eizo colorspace, but some of those are very expensive, so if budget is a large factor, I like the dell ultrasharps and HP dreamcolors.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes NEF.D90 liked this post

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    So how do I know If my grafix card will support 10bit?

Also I'm planning on running a monitor from my laptop becuase I hate this stupid 10 viewing angle BS. Lol
    I want 178 viewing angle.
    So my new laptop is a Sony Vaio vpcf115fm with an I7 processor.
    I'm guessing 8 bit will be my current limit. Any ideas?

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, with a laptop, unless its a very very high end workstation specific one, you likely won't support 10 bit, but for general print and web, you really don't NEED it. very few laptops have workstation video cards (if you look at the device names, it has to say either Quadro or FirePro, anything else won't do 10 bit output)...there are some older workstation laptops that will but they're hard to find, and still pretty expensive even on the used market.

In your case you likely don't need a 10 bit screen, so most IPS monitors will be at least 8 bit, look for one that has 16 million colors and 178* viewing angle (the 10 bit ones will spec at 1.07 billion colors)...if you end up getting a 10 bit monitor (or a 8 bit with upscale capabilities), you can still use it just fine, you just won't get the full 10 bit output through the laptop (or desktop without a workstation video card)...
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Can we make this the monitor discussion thread? Or would you like me to make a new thread for that?

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    if you've got specific questions different than whats going on in here I'd start a new thread. we need to avoid mega-threads here while we're so small
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    So does 8 bit just refer to 16.7 million color palette? 8 red 8 green and 8 blue?

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    yeah, so that's one difference, 8 bit per color panels are 24 bit overall, 10 bit per color panels are 30 bit overall, so you can see 8 bit vs 10 bit and 24 bit vs 30 bit nomenclature used somewhat interchangeably depending on what is actually being discussed.

If you're looking at getting one or the other, some things to take into account are what you'll use it for, like if you are just general purpose use, including gaming, a good 8 bit is probably the way to go, the main reason being that 8 bit panels don't require any workstation video card, and they also currently all have faster refresh rates which are important for things like gaming,

If you're needing high accuracy color grading capabilites and mainly use the monitor for that purpose, then a 10 bit card/monitor is what you'd be looking for.

either way though you'd want to make sure you're using a color calibration hardware to make sure either setup is getting the most accurate display of colors it is capable of.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I picked up a Dell ultrasharp U2414H yesterday. What a difference

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast