Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full frame Vs. DX?

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Full frame Vs. DX?

What do you gain when you switch from a body like the nikon D90 to a nikon d800. It there a lot to gain?
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    there are QUITE a few difference if you're talking about the entire setup between the D90 and D800, but if you're just generally referring specifically to the sensor size (FX vs DX) there can be benefits to either. it kind of depends on what you shoot and what direction you want to take your photography. some wildlife guys like DX format because the smaller sensor gives a different field of view with the same lenses, and if the pixel density of the DX sensor is greater than other FX options, then you can get more pixels on your subject which can be beneficial for wildlife and getting more detail from subjects that are very far away....however FX sensors are typically much better at producing lower noise at higher ISO values (DX bodies are getting better nowadays, but FX is still king of the hill in that area), FX will also give a different feel to the out of focus areas (bokeh) which is usually preferable on FX especially on people, wedding, and even wildlife and general shooting...there are other areas too, but those are a couple of the main ones. I prefer FX for everything I do. I've used DX in the past and it's fine too, but for me, FX is superior.

remember that when you get into comparing FX and DX, you will have a 'crop factor' which is exactly what it sounds like, the crop sensor is smaller, so it is cropping off parts of what the lens is projecting, this will give you a different angle of view for the same lens used on an FX body...(don't get confused, its not a change in the magnification of the lens, JUST the angle of view)...you'll hear things like equivalent focal lengths and stuff, but I don't like explaining it like that because its not REALLY that accurate and can be very confusing sometimes.

as far as other differences between the D90 and D800 specifically, the D800 has a better build quality with a metal body, its weatherproof, it has most controls accessable on the body itself (meaning you don't have to go through menus to change ISO or bracketing, or metering modes, etc....the D90 has some of the functionality on available on the body, but not like like D800's) obviously the sensor performance will be very different. the D800 has better all around sensor performance, etc, etc...

you asked about lenses in your other thread. FX and DX lenses with BOTH work just fine on FX and DX bodies, however using DX lenses on an FX body means you will either have to use the FX body in DX mode, or you will typically get vignetting which can be pretty severe depending on the lens...
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Goodness thats a mouth full. Lol. So how does my D90 rank in the world of DX? Is it up along the lines of say a low end FX? I know kind of an apples and oranges comparison but you get what I mean. Can I stick with the DX and a lense with quality that of the sigma 35 f1.4 and be able to turn out photos worthy of weddings? And or engagement photos? Sorry I know that is sort of way off topic so to speak.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    the D90 is pretty old technology, it is still a perfectly good body and will produce great pics, I wouldn't put it in the league as really any FX body though. if you're looking to do weddings, and charging for it, its hard to say because the D90 is a good body, but for something like a wedding where money is being exchanged, I would probably say you would want to step it up a bit (there are liabilities that come with weddings that other areas of photography don't have which make an upgrade a bit more of a need in that area than you would have elsewhere)

If you're looking for a D800, I'm actually going to probably put my backup D800 up for sale real soon. I've got a few likely upcoming expenses that I need to prepare a bit for, so I'll probably be posting a few items up for sale soon.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

A lot of people, like me for instance use DX bodies for long shots vs. landscapes. My NIKKOR AF-S 70-200 F/2.8D EDIF VR ZOOM is mounted to my D300 for long shots. Since it is a DX sensor, this lens give me an area of view from 105 to 300. I also use my NIKKOR AF-S 300mm F/4D EDIF on the D300 when necessary (that give me an area of view equivalent of 450.

For my D700 (FX body) my primary lens is my NIKKOR AF-S 24-70 F/2.8G EDIF ZOOM and for some landscape shots I'll use my old, but reliable NIKKOR 20-35mm F/2.8D EDIF ZOOM lens.

The only thing I never liked about the DX bodies I have owned was the area of view when using my 35mm film lenses. Other than the area of view, my D300 took great photos, but I was a happy camper when the D800 was released, since that drove down the price of the D700 bodies that were left in stock at the Nikon camera stores.
    Nikon D700 / D300
    F5 (Not Used)
    NIKKOR 20-35mm F/2.8D EDIF ZOOM, NIKKOR AF-S 24-70 F/2.8G EDIF ZOOM, NIKKOR AF-S 70-200 F/2.8D EDIF VR ZOOM, NIKKOR AF-S 300mm F/4D EDIF

Quote Originally Posted by Aloicious View Post
    you asked about lenses in your other thread. FX and DX lenses with BOTH work just fine on FX and DX bodies, however using DX lenses on an FX body means you will either have to use the FX body in DX mode, or you will typically get vignetting which can be pretty severe depending on the lens...
    Not that it matters, since I sold my only DX lens (Tokina 12-24 F4), but I wonder is there a a DX lens setting on the D700?
    Nikon D700 / D300
    F5 (Not Used)
    NIKKOR 20-35mm F/2.8D EDIF ZOOM, NIKKOR AF-S 24-70 F/2.8G EDIF ZOOM, NIKKOR AF-S 70-200 F/2.8D EDIF VR ZOOM, NIKKOR AF-S 300mm F/4D EDIF

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    yeah, the D700 has DX mode, but its only like 5mp. you can set it to DX mode in the menu even with an FX lens too, but there's not much point to doing that
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Let me drag this back to the top.
    So I was all bent on getting a d800e as my next body and rashly still haven't tales my self out of it. The d800e is an amazing body with some of the highest features. I can't help but wonder do you think it is getting dated considering the new technology coming out. I'm starting to lean towards staying DX for a while longer. (D7100) or being as I don't need a new body and don't have a grand to just throw at one maybe I can't wait for the rumored d7200? What are your thoughts on this everyone?

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    no, the D800 isn't dated tech at all. it has some strong benefits over the D7100, but the D7100 isn't a slouch either. DX isn't a bad thing, its just different. personally, if you don't have the cash for either one, I'd just start saving, and see what comes out while doing so.the D7200 may be phenominal (and hopefully improve on some of the d7100's shortcomings), but it may not be, a D900 may come out sometime and improve on the D800 (it may not too), etc. there are many things that could happen in the interim time while you're saving.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Right that's how I'm feeling. I don't shot in a studio I lug my body with me everywhere I go. Now the purchase of a new bag and quick strap may change things but the D800(e) out weighs tge D90 buy many ounces so carrying it around might be even more unfun lol. I wish u knew someone closer that has a d800 I could play with. Best buy has a D800E in display but I will need to take in my own lens so I can fondle it hehe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast