Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Thread: Watermarks

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Watermarks

I'm thinking about building a watermark for my photography but I don't know how or where to do it. The question is who, what, when, where, and why do I need a watermark.

Can I produce a watermark in Lightroom?
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I'm not overly familiar with lightroom. but I think it should be able to do it....

basically how I create a watermark is to make an image for the watermark in a separate file with a transparent background, then place that watermark image in a foreground layer on top of the main image. then I lower the transparency of the watermark to a level that is appropriate for the main image (not too transparent that it's hard to read, but enough that it blends in a little and is less distracting)

like here's an example from GTC at this year's speed week:

sometimes I'll just use text in a foreground layer rather than a separate image too, this is good for kindof distorting things to work with the flow of the image as well.

This isn't the greatest example (but its all I have on hand right now), but in this shot you can see the watermark follows the line of the riverbank at the top of the image.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The thing with watermarks is that if you're using them for image theft protection, really anyone with the right software can fairly easily remove them. so its really only a deterrent for those who aren't familiar with how to do that. Some people will use giant watermarks over the center of the image to make it a little more difficult, but even that isn't totally effective and it's so distracting to the image itself that it just ruins any feeling or impact the image is supposed to be conveying IMO. I prefer to use a watermark as an informational stamp, so if someone links to the image or shares it or something, at the very least, people will know where it originated from since there are other more effective anti-theft measures that can be taken.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I more or less want it for sharing and to make it feel a little more professional so to speak. But more to track where it originated. How else can you anti theft your images?

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    well...there are always a way thieves can get around it, but the best way is to only post images online that are too small to use for any quality printing purposes (like ~800px on the long side or so). if you have your own site where you have the images, you can also prevent people from downloading it directly by either layering a clear image over the top of it, or disabling right clicking on it, block people from accessing the image directory directly on the site... (but there are ways around those too, so it really only deters the casual user from downloading it)...

I like to do all of the following:

-low resolution online posting (never full size, or even close to it, that makes editing and printing easy)
    -use watermark
    -disable downloading from my site directly
    -forbid direct access to my image directory

its kindof like using a bike lock, it'll stop most of the people who walk by and want to take your bike, but if someone has a pair of bolt cutters, they'll still get it, but maybe you take the front wheel off too, so even if they have bolt cutters, they might steal the bike but it'll still need a wheel before they can use it, etc....

the more of a hassle you can make it for the competent thieves, the less benefit they'll get from stealing it, and will deter them even more...
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Bahaha. Love the bike reference. Ok all that is very helpful. No I just have o think up a watermark. Hmmm

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    that's sometimes the hardest part, if you have a business than a logo is good, but sometimes just a and your name or site or something is good, especially since its clear and readable even slightly transparent.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Right. Sounds good to me. Lol.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    just choose a good font that isn't too hard to read. the copyright symbol is alt+0169 incase you didn't know.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog