Register a FREE account with us to see less ads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telephoto converter

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Telephoto converter

So I was just looking on Amazon at Telephoto converters and noticed that the nikon 2x TC was around $600 and the tamron was around $150 why such a huge drop in price? Is there an Fstop factor here or just the optics?
    If your going to dream, Dream Big!

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Optical quality, build quality, brand recognition, also resell value, etc. Teleconverters are not really something I'd recommend unless you have GOOD and FAST lenses to use them on. No matter how good the TC is it will cause image quality degradation and loss of light with 2x TCs being the worse offenders. A 1.4 TC will lose 1 full stop of light, a 1.7x TC will lose 1.5 stops, a 2x TC loses a full 2 stops of light.

If you use a 2x TC with your D90 it has to be a f2.8 lens at least because it will turn a f2.8 lens into a f5.6 lens, and your d90 does not autofocus with lenses slower than f5.6.

Are you looking for more reach or something like that?
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

C&C is always welcome on the images I post.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Yea. You saw that shot over on my local thread. I just wanted to reach out and touch somebody lol. Plus I see you use them so I figured I would check them out. I know my first purchase needs to be a nice fast lens. But I wanted to pick your brain a little and see what I could get out of ya.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    yeah, telephoto stuff is really the backbone of wildlife photos. and TC's can come in handy, but the definitely come at the cost of light gathering ability and image quality...they can be used to make acceptable shots and save some money when you've got sufficiently fast lenses, like for example, a 1.7x on a 300 f2.8 can get you 500mm f4.8, for the low low price of ~$2k-5k depending on what 300f2.8 lens you're using and how much you were able to get it for on the used market....which may seem crazy to think of several thousand dollars as a 'cheap' route...but when the alternative is a 500mm f4 lens which retails at almost $8k, it can be a significant savings...now the 500 f4 is a little faster (1/2 stop faster), and it will produce better IQ photos in a direct comparison. but with the 300 f2.8 and 1.7x, its an acceptable substitute in many situations.

TC's were kind of designed to be used in that manner, on the fastest and sharpest moderate telephoto lenses that are capable of producing the quality results even with the loss of IQ and light...for example the 200mm f2.0, 300mm f2.8, and 400mm f2.8. in fact, the Nikon TC's won't even attach to Nikon's own lower end lenses (they put a little tab on it to prevent it from attaching). There are some combinations with TC's that have been proven effective and useful in some less expensive lenses, for example a 300mm f4 and a 1.4x TC make a 420mm f5.6 lens and can cost under $1k on the used market depending on what prices you can get, and the 300 f4 is a good quality lens that can still make acceptable results with the 1.4x on it, however using a 1.7 or 2.0 wouldn't be the ideal thing since most bodies other than the most recent generation really need f5.6 lenses to provide proper autofocus (and even then it's pretty crippled), if you're trying to autofocus on lenses slower than f5.6, it's really going to be hit or miss on if it will even work.

Remind me again what lenses you currently have, and what kind of budget you're looking at and there are some good options (both with and without TC's) to get you in the telephoto range without breaking the bank.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E
    Lenses - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC | Zeiss 15mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF.2 | Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art | 105mm f2.5 AI-S | 70-200 f2.8G VRII | 200mm F4.0D Micro AF | 300mm f2.8 VRII

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Well my current telephoto lens is an AF nikkor 70-300mm f4-5.6 waaaaaaaaaayyyyy too slow to snap a TC onto. But I was just craving more knowledge. I think I'm setting myself up for disappointment. I keep looking at all of these professional photographers work and I think wow thats so clear. How do I do that. Will buying a higher quality lens really improve the photos quality? Higher quality eg. The sigma 35mmf1.8

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    yeah, don't even try to use any TC on that 70-300. the Nikon's won't even attach to it.

yeah, higher end gear can definitely help, IF it is your gear that is holding you back (I think you are talking about the sigma 35mm f1.4 art, its different than the 35mm f1.8)....but I've seen some phenomenal shots from a 70-300. the best way to make sure you get clear shots is to get the best exposure possible, when you start needing to do severe manipulation of the exposure in post processing, you're going to lose some quality...you also want to use good technique to eliminate causes of blur and low image quality (i.e. proper settings, tripod/monopod, hand holding techniques, etc). you can try stopping your lens down a little, typically lenses aren't at their opimal image quality wide open, especially consumer level lenses like the 70-300 (so try stepping down to say f8 or something and see if it improves compared to f5.6)

however quality gear can give you benefits that other gear may not be able to (i.e. wider max aperture, etc)...so if you are requiring the wider aperture, then obviously that would be one way your current gear would be holding you back...
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I am looking for a clearer and crisper image really. Lol I know that's vague but hey that's all I got. I don't know I should have a little time to get a few recent photos up tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll post one here to show you what I'm seeing. It could just be amateur problems lol. I.E. Don't know how to process a photo to its best quality.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Hey J can you spot me about 6 to 8 Grand I found some new toys I need!

The sigma 120-300mm F2.8 wow that Also looks like a very nice lens. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_8_DG_OS.html

Hmmm so it's this a lens you would say would go well with a 1.7 TC? I would assume this lens by it self would take great wild like photos.

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NEF.D90 View Post
    I am looking for a clearer and crisper image really. Lol I know that's vague but hey that's all I got. I don't know I should have a little time to get a few recent photos up tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll post one here to show you what I'm seeing. It could just be amateur problems lol. I.E. Don't know how to process a photo to its best quality.
    yeah, posting up one that shows what issues you're having will help out a lot, that way we can see what it is and if it's something that you can improve on with taking the shot or processing or something, or if it really is an issue with the lens or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by NEF.D90 View Post
    Hey J can you spot me about 6 to 8 Grand I found some new toys I need!

The sigma 120-300mm F2.8 wow that Also looks like a very nice lens. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_8_DG_OS.html

Hmmm so it's this a lens you would say would go well with a 1.7 TC? I would assume this lens by it self would take great wild like photos.
    heh, yeah that sigma is a good one. especially the newest version (the one you linked to, they made a few different versions prior to this one too, all are great lenses, but the newest one has some cool features with it). that sigma would work well with teleconverters, the only issue with a 1.7x is that Nikon is the only good manufacturer who makes a 1.7x, and they only work with nikon lenses, it won't actually connect up to the sigma correctly. but sigma and kenko both make some decent TC's that would work well with it, both 1.4x and 2x, I've seen great results from the 120-300 f2.8 with both the 1.4x and 2x. if its something you really are looking at, you could get one of the earlier versions, for alot less, the first version I think goes for around $1k-1.2k but lacks OS (optical stabilization, same thing as nikon's VR), the second version has OS and runs in the ~$2kish range, the newest one has the same optical formula and OS as the previous version, but with the new one you can use the sigma dock which lets you fine tune EVERYTHING in the lens (from autofocus performance, to OS performance, etc)...kind of like tuning a 411PCM, except you're tuning your lens heh...
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    So I upgraded my PS cs6 to the newest CC version...and basically got LR for free out of it (well, considering the price, it was basically free), and I gotta say, I'm not a huge fan of LR so far. I'm probably just set in my ways with photoshop, but I can see how you might have difficulty processing things...I'll have to play around with it more.
    -Justin

Bodies - D800E

My PhotographyWild Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast